Definition of the week – Aqueous normal-phase LC

Posted In: Chromatography

fsgmanager on #3812

Aqueous normal-phase LC: LC based on silica hydride-based stationary phases, where hydrophilic partitioning occurs via a gradient-elution program over a wide water-content range.

Do you agree with this definition? Let us know below!

Participant
    Robert MacNeill on #7081

I think it’s too condensed to be really deemed correct. The term is indeed synonymous with chromatography on silica hydride-based phases though – where there is typically the manifestation of both reversed-phase and normal phase interactions within a single gradient run, hence the ability to acceptably (retention, peak shape, selectivity etc) chromatograph compounds of widely varying polarity within said single run. I much prefer the definition given in the Bioanalysis Glossary:-
    A variant of normal phase liquid chromatography, i.e. the stationary phase is more polar than the mobile phase, but for which the mobile phase components and additives are water-miscible. HILIC and much chromatography on silica hydride-based phases are popular examples of ANP.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please wait...

Bioanalysis Zone New Investigator Award

Why not start this year by doing something good by nominating an early career scientist for the Bioanalysis Zone New Investigator Award. Complete the details below to register your interest!